A body snatcher attack at my house??

For quite a while, it seemed Aiden was hell bent on making my days impossible. Incessant arguing, ignoring my requests/demands, butting heads with me all day long. He was a constant ball of destructive activity, leaving a path of toys and destroyed furniture in his wake. Many days I felt like all I had done was put him in time out, dole out punishments, and pull marbles out of his reward jar.

But suddenly, about a week or so ago, something shifted. I'm not sure what has happened, but suddenly, my son has become...compliant! He actually listens to me. We have whole days where I don't have to yell, and if I do have to get onto him about something, all I have to say is, "Aiden, I don't want to have to yell or take marbles away," and he quickly gets back into line. A layer of dust is building up on his naughty spot rug and his marble jar, which had sat practically empty for weeks, filled within just a few

On top of the good behavior, he's suddenly become incredibly loving. "Mommy, I love you SOOOO MUCH!" he'll tell me, out of the blue, and surprise me with a hug. He wants to love on my belly and gives Aubrey big "hugs" and smacking kisses. He regularly cuddles with his daddy, and wants to call him at work just to say Hi and give him love. He's full of compliments, too: "Mommy, I like your dressed" (translation: I like your outfit); "Mommy, you are so beautiful;" "Daddy, I like your baseball bat." He'll lean over and lay his head on Brad or I, he wants to help out around the house, and he's just incredibly sweet.

A friend of mine, Amanda, once told me that 4 was a magical age for her daughter, Maddie--that it was like a light switch turned on and suddenly things were just easier. We're not quite to four, yet, but I'm wondering if this is that same phenomenon. I have no idea what the cause is...all I know is that I love it! I'm so thankful to have my sweet little boy back. Don't get me wrong--I've never loved him a bit less, despite the headaches and the hair pulling these past few months, but to say he's been a bit of a challenge is an understatement. We still have our moments, and he's still got a streak of mischief a mile wide, but these days, we're all just a bit more relaxed and pleasant with one another than we've been in a long time.

Comments

Popular Posts