Saturday, November 15, 2008

My son, the elephant

They say an elephant never forgets, and that is definitely true of my little guy. He can remember the smallest detail: if I miss a part in his favorite story, if I forget to follow-through on some off-hand promise from earlier in the day. He never cuts me any slack!

Lately, he has been on this repetition kick that is driving Brad and I nuts. Every night, we have to read the same book over and over again--it's a National Geographic Kids magazine on Polar Bears. I think we've read this one for 6 nights in a row now. The first night, Mommy read it using the help of Mr. Doggy, one of Aiden's puppets. Mr. Doggy made a few silly wisecracks throughout the story, and every night, I've had to repeat those same jokes over and over again. If I were to dare miss one, Aiden is quick to point out my omission and demand that I tell it right. I mean, the first time I joked during a "name that picture" exercise that a rose bush was "a good bush to pee on, just watch out for the thorns" it was cute. But after 6 nights of repeat performances, I'm starting to wonder how comedians can stand their jobs--repeating the same material over and over again kind of sucks! But for Aiden, he laughs as if its the first time he's heard the joke--and how can I resist the repeat performance, when I'm rewarded with that adorable belly-shaking guffaw night after night.

The say repetition helps kids to feel secure and also pick out all of the subtleties of a story or joke and understand it better, but I'll tell you, for the adults, it is sheer torture! Hopefully we can pry the book from Aiden, introduce a new story, and get Mr. Doggy to tell some other potty-based joke that will keep Aiden laughing soon!

No comments:

Want to hear more about the Pack?

Check out A Belly in Bloom, a page devoted to Angela's pregnancy with Aubrey. You can see belly pics, sonograms, and learn more about how Aubrey (formerly known as "The Bean") came to be the lovely little girl she is! You can also find Angela's favorite recipes and newest food experiments at Cooking with the Parker Pack.