Aubrey's 2 week check-up

Ms. Aubrey is doing fabulous. She's up to 7 lbs. 13 oz., 20.5 inches long, and her head is now 14.5 inches in circumference. She's doing very well and is a strong baby--she already holds her head up quite often and has great arm and leg strength. She's healthy and thriving, all a mother could ask for!

Thank goodness God gave me an easy-going baby the second time around! Aubrey rarely cries, only when she's hungry, and would sit in a dirty diaper all day, without a fuss, if I let her. She will happily hang out in her front carrier for hours on end, which makes things so much easier for me--I can have my hands free to cook or tend to Aiden, and she just naps or chills out. And she's beginning to get her days and nights straightened out, finally! She'll stay awake for a few hours at a time in the afternoons and evenings, and will sleep better at night, now that we've made a few changes to our sleeping arrangements.

Although before becoming a mom, I swore I wouldn't share a bed with my kids, I ended up doing so for about half the night with Aiden once he was a few weeks old and continued to co-sleep with him until he was about 4 months old. It helped us both get a full nights' sleep, but it was a bit of a transition once he was older to get him into his own crib. Well, I swore I wouldn't co-sleep with Aubrey, that I'd start her out right and teach her to fall asleep on her own from the start, but all of that went out the window a couple of nights ago. This week, I discovered that if I put her in her bassinet, she wakes about every 2-3 hours and likes to stay awake from about 2 AM until about 4:30 AM, fussing. The other night, after several nights of getting only 2-3 hours of sleep, I pulled her into bed with me at 2 AM and nursed her lying down, and we both fell asleep--and neither of us woke until morning! The past couple of nights, I put her down in her bassinet at the beginning of the night and then bring her into bed when she wakes at 2 AM or so, and she has slept against me for 5-6 hour stretches and has been less fussy in the daytime, so it looks like we'll be co-sleeping for a while. I know, it isn't the fashionable thing to do and some people would call me crazy and possibly negligent, but it works for our family, we're all more rested and happier, so I guess we'll just ignore the nay-sayers and keep doing what seems right for us.

Comments

Popular Posts