Sunday, February 15, 2009

More Conversations with Aiden...

Aiden and I are playing with Aiden's doctor kit. He's reenacting the infamous Well-Child Visit of 2009 (see previous post), only this time he's the doctor and I'm the patient.

Aiden: OK, Mommy, let's take your blood squeeze. I'm going to put this on your arm and it will give your arm a hug, but it won't hurt, OK?

Mommy: OK. But Aiden, you wouldn't let them take your blood pressure when you were at the doctor [he crawled under the table and screamed until the nurse put the cuff away]. Why not?

Aiden: It doesn't hurt grown ups, but it hurts 4-year olds, Mommy.

OK, Mommy, now I have to give you a shot, so you won't get sick and so Jesus won't get sick. If you be really still, it won't hurt so bad. You have to be brave, 'cause you're a grown-up. 4-year-olds don't like shots, they aren't brave. But 5-year-olds aren't scared of shots. I'll be brave when I'm 5, Mommy, I won't cry at all! [He pretends to give me the shot.]

Mommy: Ouch! That hurt a little, but that wasn't so bad.

Aiden: Mommy, you weren't very brave!

Now, I listen to your heart. [He picks us the stethoscope and puts it on his ears and applies it to my chest]. Mommy, I hear Jesus in there! He's having a snack!

Mommy: Really? What's Jesus eating?

Aiden: Pretzels. And milk.

___________________________________________________

We're at the dinner table and Aiden picks up a fork and threatens to stab me with it.

Mommy: You better not stab me with that fork--that's called assault, it's against the law, and the police will come and take you to jail.

Aiden: [Immediately drops the fork, his face crumpling into tears] But I don't like to go to jail because I wouldn't get to see you and I'd miss you, Mommy! I don't want to go to jail!

I quickly gave him a hug and assured him that since he didn't stab me with the fork, he wouldn't have to go anywhere. Poor kid, stuck with a lawyer for a mother!

No comments:

Want to hear more about the Pack?

Check out A Belly in Bloom, a page devoted to Angela's pregnancy with Aubrey. You can see belly pics, sonograms, and learn more about how Aubrey (formerly known as "The Bean") came to be the lovely little girl she is! You can also find Angela's favorite recipes and newest food experiments at Cooking with the Parker Pack.