Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Thank God for steriods

No, not the 'roid rage-inducing, muscle-building anabolic kind, I'm talking about prednisone. My rheumatologist put me on steroids last week, and initially, I was hesitant to take them--they are known for causing weight gain and acne and making you feel like you are starving all the time. But after about 5 days of being on the pills, my lupus has improved dramatically. I was having trouble just getting out of bed and managing my daily tasks before, but now, I feel better than I have in months. No more aching joints, no more exhaustion. I am hungry quite often and I have a hard time sleeping at night (the steroids make me jittery), but eating 6 small meals a day and taking Tylenol PM before bed on the rough nights has taken care of those side effects.

Unfortunately, the steroids seem to have affected Aubrey a little in the pooping department. She's been horribly constipated this week and absolutely miserable today, so I gave her her first bottle of diluted apple juice. Surprisingly, she took it well--she doesn't take her bottles of breast milk as well as she does the juice! If no poopy diaper by tomorrow, we'll have to start the serious stuff--prune juice (yuck). Hopefully the juice will take care of things for Aubrey, 'cause Mama really needs her meds right now, but I hate to think that what's helping me is making her miserable!

No comments:

Want to hear more about the Pack?

Check out A Belly in Bloom, a page devoted to Angela's pregnancy with Aubrey. You can see belly pics, sonograms, and learn more about how Aubrey (formerly known as "The Bean") came to be the lovely little girl she is! You can also find Angela's favorite recipes and newest food experiments at Cooking with the Parker Pack.