Monday, April 27, 2009

I give up...

...on ever being able to go on a date with my husband!

On Valentine's Day, we made reservations at Craft, a fancy-schmancy restaurant here in Dallas. We arranged to swap babysitting with our friends, The Foxes. I bought a new outfit and even shaved my legs (which is HUGE when you have a new baby in the house). And then the phone rang--it was Aiden's school, telling me I had to pick him up from school, since my little guy had a fever and was sick at his stomach. So, I canceled with our friends and we ate take-out for dinner.

This weekend was our 6 year wedding anniversary. Brad and I had planned to celebrate by having Aiden go on a sleepover at Aunt Cathy and Uncle Wayne's house for the weekend, and we were going to drop Aubrey over there for a few hours while we went to dinner at Jasper's and for drinks after at Martini Ranch. Saturday, Aiden went to Cathy and Wayne's house after tee-ball, as planned. Brad and I enjoyed a nap Saturday afternoon, then got ready for our night out. We were dressed and completely ready to go when I went in to wake Aubrey up from her nap and discovered she had a fever. I pulled out the thermometer and discovered she had a 101.4 degree fever. So once again, we called to cancel our babysitting arrangement and ordered pizza for dinner. I gave Aubrey some Tylenol and put her down for the night, and Brad and I feasted on pizza and wings.

Around 10:30 or so, I heard Aubrey stirring in her room, whimpering. I went in to check on her and she was burning up, despite the Tylenol I had given her. I checked her temp, and it was 102.5 degrees, with hours to go before her next dose of Tylenol. Aubrey is still too young for Motrin, so I called the doc and they told me to take her in, since her fever was so high and still climbing.

We took her to Cook Children's Legacy campus, since we had such a positive experience there before. They were completely full Saturday night, though, so we spent quite a bit of time waiting. Poor Aubrey's temp was 103.5 and still climbing by the time we got there, but luckily enough time had passed that the nurse could give her another dose of Tylenol. Her fever finally broke about another hour later, but because she is so young and gets steroids through my breast milk (which can compromise immune function) they decided to run a whole battery of tests to make sure Aubrey wasn't seriously ill. They drew blood. They deep suctioned her to clear her airway and tested her mucous for flu, RSV and a bunch of other viral illnesses. Then they catheterized her to get a urine sample and check for UTI's.

It was an evening filled with screaming and tears--I felt so bad for our baby girl. She was a trooper. Despite the poking and prodding and being awakened every time she fell asleep, she was generally a great baby. She smiled and grinned at the nurses and slurped happily on her toes, but whenever someone began prodding her, she would start spitting at them. She's developed a habit of "blowing raspberries" whenever she is frustrated or mad, so whenever a nurse would start a procedure, she would start blowing away, covering us with spit. The nurses though it was hilarious, how she would express her anger at such a young age.

Luckily, Aubrey's urinalysis and blood tests came back clear, showing that this was some sort of viral illness. The mucous test was sent off to the CDC--since flu season is pretty much over, they don't do the rapid testing in-house any longer, so we have to wait 3 days for those results. But it appears Aubrey is on the mend--she hasn't had a fever since Sunday evening, and she seems to be feeling better. She's still snotty and a more tired than usual, but she is back to her smiling and happy self. Unfortunately, Brad and I are now ill, so it will be a while before we can reschedule that date. But we've decided we aren't going to tell the kids in advance, or plan more than about 24 hours out--at this point, I think they are scheming against us!


Jason, Allison & Charlotte said...

I'm so sorry.... but really, I do think they're conspiring against you. Maybe they just want to make sure they don't end up with more siblings??? Just a thought...

Hope you feel better soon!

Becky said...

Don't give up on dating! It is a vital part of a healthy marriage...of course, I know it is easier said than done. Tony and I try hard to date as well, but it takes a lot of effort and planning...especially around a firefighter's schedule. Anytime you are in OK, just drop the kids off here and go on a date. I'd love to spend time with those sweet babies.

Want to hear more about the Pack?

Check out A Belly in Bloom, a page devoted to Angela's pregnancy with Aubrey. You can see belly pics, sonograms, and learn more about how Aubrey (formerly known as "The Bean") came to be the lovely little girl she is! You can also find Angela's favorite recipes and newest food experiments at Cooking with the Parker Pack.