Living on the porch

OK, I've decided that I will never again buy a house without a big ol' front porch. The past few days, we've had a "cold front" pass through, bringing temps in the upper 80's and lower 90's, so our family has literally lived on our front porch. Tuesday night, we enjoyed dinner on the porch: a picnic of fruits (grapes, apples, watermelon, cantaloupe), a variety of cheeses, salami and prosciutto, crackers, and wine for the grown-ups. The kids loved it, grazing and playing for hours--it is the most Aubrey has eaten at one meal in a LONG time! Some of our neighbors ended up joining us and we had a great time visiting and watching the kids play.

Wednesday, Aubrey and Brad and I spent most of the day outdoors. We went on a walk through the neighborhood, then let Aubrey play in the yard while I sat on the porch and read for my classes. While she napped, I watched my online lecture videos and did some studying. After picking Aiden up from school, it was more time spent outside with him and a gaggle of his friends.

Thursday brought more lovely temps, so we threw the doors and windows open to air out the house and Aubrey and I played for a good while on the porch. She ate her snack outside--Goldfish crackers, which she insisted upon eating with a spoon.  That spoon was later re-purposed as a tiny shovel for digging in the dirt in our flower beds.

We've all spent a lot of time outside lately--a trend that will continue as fall weather moves in over the next few months. But at the heart of all of that outside living is a big porch with a comfy sofa and chairs.

 Aubrey crashing on the pavement--she's worn herself out playing.

 Studying on the porch with my favorite study buddy.

Eating Goldfish with a spoon.

 My silly gal. She's trying to feed me Goldfish with the spoon.

 Hmmm, this spoon makes a nice shovel!



The accessory of the day: swim goggles. Later that day, we added a cowboy hat and a purse. 
Let's just say she has her own sense of style!

 Aubrey being silly--that girl is a ham!

Once his homework is done, this is all I see of Aiden until dinnertime: 
a streak that zooms by on a scooter, with a gaggle of neighborhood boys close by.

Comments

Popular Posts