Sunday, September 1, 2013

Aubrey's First Day of Kindergarten

I just realized I never blogged about a very important milestone...Aubrey's first day of Kindergarten!



I can't believe both of my babies are "school-aged" now. It seems like just yesterday, I was a grumpy, sleep-deprived zombie whose only purpose in life was to produce milk and clean up its after-effects. But now, my sweet girl is 4 and headed off to Kindergarten.

Hawaii is a bit strange--they start school earlier here than on the mainland, so I feel a bit robbed of an extra year of preschool. But, since preschool costs money, kindergarten is free, and Aubrey is a smarty pants who is already READING, well, Kindergarten it is. Her first day she went a half-day, then waited a full week and went another half-day, then waited three days to attend another half-day, and then, finally, she started attending full days, Monday through Friday. She has adapted well to the new schedule, although we've had to adjust her bedtime back considerably--she was one CRANKY drama queen the entire first two weeks, thanks to the new 6:45 AM wake-up time. However, she loves her teacher, Mrs. Aguda, and has made lots of new friends, so she loves school.

For me, though, the best part of the day is this:


the huge smile I get as she runs out that door to greet me at the end of the day. After a big hug, she always thinks to look over her shoulder and say goodbye to her teacher, but I love the way her face lights up as our eyes meet on her way out the door.

(PS-Don't you love the 'awesome' sticker on her forehead? Her teacher doles them out for good behavior, Aubrey insists on wearing hers on her forehead "So everyone can see how awesome I am!")

No comments:

Want to hear more about the Pack?

Check out A Belly in Bloom, a page devoted to Angela's pregnancy with Aubrey. You can see belly pics, sonograms, and learn more about how Aubrey (formerly known as "The Bean") came to be the lovely little girl she is! You can also find Angela's favorite recipes and newest food experiments at Cooking with the Parker Pack.